To be eligible for submission the essay must be:
- entirely the student’s own work and submitted in unrevised form
- written in the previous academic year by a postgraduate student currently registered (or within six months of registration having terminated)
- addressing a topic within the scope of the discipline of French studies
- written in either English or French, with any quotations from French supplied in the original language
- up to 6,000 words in length (including notes but excluding bibliography)
- word-processed with numbered pages
- submitted without the name of the student, or institution, appearing in the essay
- submitted by the university, with the student’s agreement, as one of up to three annual submissions per university
- accompanied by a separate coversheet
- submitted on the understanding that no correspondence will be entered into by the Society regarding individual essays.
If a draft thesis chapter is entered, candidates are reminded to ensure that it can be read as a stand-alone essay.