Activities of the Society
The Society’s primary aim is to promote the full spectrum of French Studies in institutions of higher education, both within the United Kingdom and Ireland, and beyond. Our activities do this in a range of different ways, encouraging and supporting intellectual enquiry in the discipline at all levels.
Some of our main activities include:
- Editing the French Studies quarterly journal and its companion the French Studies Bulletin
- Editing the Legenda Research Monographs in French Studies series
- Hosting an annual conference
- Organising workshops and research events during the year
- Offering conference and workshop grants for French Studies events in the UK and Ireland
- Awarding annual prizes for scholarship at undergraduate, postgraduate, early-career and book-publication levels
- Supporting postgraduate students through reduced membership fees and conference registration rates; travel grants to the SFS annual conference; and funding for postgraduate events and workshops
- Lobbying and responding to consultations with government and industry, on behalf of those working in French Studies, both nationally and internationally.
We recently digitised our archive of papers (meeting minutes, conference programmes, etc). Any member interested in conducting research into the history of the Society is very welcome to contact our Honorary Secretary, Ed Welch, for access to these documents.